Early Praise for Guys Reading Poems
“[Hunter Lee] Hughes’ film has a universal appeal. By channeling the pain of damaged youth into a unique filmic meditation, he has created a touchstone for anyone who struggles to reconcile these psychic scars within their own life. It’s an interior landscape that can be recognized by almost anyone, of course; and by treating it with candor, acknowledging its dark beauty, and honoring its inseparability from identity, Hughes has given us a movie which illuminates the path to transcendence. Guys Reading Poems is unequivocally an art film, and as such unlikely to achieve widespread success at the box office; but for those of us who appreciate the bravery required not only to confront these difficult issues, but to explore them in such a public and honest manner, it is a much-appreciated effort and worthy of being sought out. It deserves to be called essential viewing.”John Paul King
“There is never a moment in the film that looks less than gorgeous, thanks to the black-and-white cinematography.”Jeremy Ross
“A visual poetic experience and jaw-dropping black-and-white thriller that will leave you questioning your existence.”Ernest Owens
“Life is a puzzle that’s not meant to be solved, just experienced. The same is true of Hunter Lee Hughes’ ingenious feature film, Guys Reading Poems – a majestic, all-embracing account of how a vulnerable young boy learns to glibly mold his childhood suffering into art, tenderness and creative literature. Astutely constructing the motion picture as a poetry-imbued testimony for the transformative power of imagination in relieving pain, the director manages to craft a gripping mindbender that compels the viewer to gasp both in terror and awe of the complex intricacies and repercussions of heartrending art.”Alexander Ryll
“As a poet and the creator of the Def Poetry series I was really interested in a movie with poetry as its central theme. I had high hopes but worried so much could go wrong, mostly it could reinforce the false notion that poetry is boring. Well, with this film that couldn’t be further from the truth. The characters are interesting and well defined and the storyline is gripping and magical. The crisp cinematography pulled me into every nuance of the story, but the poetry itself is the best of all its commanding qualities. The poems themselves are thoughtful and complex. Words that I wanted to continually contemplate. They carry the production and never let go. In a succinct sentence, I can wrap this up by saying it is way dope and I wanna see it again.”Danny Simmons
“The film itself is a masterpiece, filmed in black-and-white and framed by poetry.”Dr. Shelley Plumb
“As a testament to why film festivals are so amazing, I was completely enthralled by the neo-noir poetry drama, Guys Reading Poems, where filmmaker Hunter Lee Hughes tells the story of a dysfunctional family through the use of poetry. Shot beautifully in black and white, this movie resembled a modern-day silent film, at times using only music and action to create the scene. This was the unexpected surprise of the festival for me!”Nikki DeMC
Guys Reading Poems world premiered at the 21st annual Palm Beach International Film Festival in April, 2016 during National Poetry Month, followed by a West Coast premiere at the 19th annual Dances With Films at the iconic TCL Chinese Theatres in Hollywood. The film then received a prestigious Centerpiece Selection slot at qFLIX Philadelphia and won the Audience Award for Best Feature (Drama) at the 25th annual Woods Hole Film Festival and went on to screen at a total of ten international film festivals.
Our film enjoyed a week-long theatrical engagement at Arena Cinelounge and will premiere across platforms on February 20, 2018 through our distributor Gravitas Ventures.
Check out our blog to see our film’s journey on the festival circuit!
- Film Press Release
- Film Press Kit
- Early Praise • PDF
- Press Coverage | English
- La Cobertura de Prensa | Español
- Video Interview of our star Patricia Velasquez by The Advocate Magazine
- Interview of director Hunter Lee Hughes by Q Voice News
- Interview of Patricia by Fox San Antonio
- Interview of Hunter in the Fast, Cheap Movie Thoughts Blog
- Profile of Hunter as ‘Filmmaker of the Month’ for Breckenridge Film Festival
- Profile of Guys Reading Poems in “The Washington Blade“
- Profile of Guys Reading Poems in “The Summit Daily”
- Coverage of Guys Reading Poems actor Rex Lee’s visit to Breckenridge Film Festival
- WPBF (ABC affiliate) interview with Rex & Hunter
- KPFK (90.7 FM) interview with Rex & Hunter
- Profile/photos of Patricia in “The Advocate”
- Profile on actor Christos Vasilopoulos in The Hollywood Greek Reporter
- Profile of actor-associate producer Daniel Berilla in HIV Plus Magazine
- Janet Gallin’s profile of Hunter for Examiner.com
- Accidental Bear coverage of our premiere announcement
- Sheena Metal interview of actor Christos & Hunter on L.A. Talk Radio (starts 1:19:30)
- Us vs. Film podcast interview with Hunter
- Profile of Hunter in “KZaiz” online magazine
- “The Advocate” coverage of our crowdfunding campaign to finance the film
- Sheena Metal interview of Hunter, Jerod Meagher, Jason Fracaro & Gopal Divan for L.A. Talk Radio during our crowdfunding campaign
- Jim Koury’s Diversity Rules magazine podcast of our crowdfunding campaign. The magazine also covered our premiere with a follow-up article.
- Podcast interviews of director Hunter Lee Hughes, producer Debbie Vandermeulen and editor Patrick Kennelly by Jordan Gregory for his “Your Hollywood Pro” podcast.